There has been a significant advancement in solar technology since it first debuted in the 1960s. Initially, solar photovoltaics had been regarded as a thing of the future. But today, they have spearheaded technological breakthroughs, resulting in an array of solar-powered devices that include backpacks, lanterns and flashlights.
Our point of focus today is on solar-driven flashlights. We’ve highlighted the benefits they offer over conventional models, and recommended the best solar flashlights on the market.
Why You Should Consider Solar Flashlights
The greatest benefit of using a solar flashlight is the fact that it relies exclusively on sunlight as a source of energy. There are a couple of models that use hybrid mechanisms, meaning they use a combination of solar and chemical energy. But even then, these have minimal effect on the environment.
To show just how eco-friendly solar flashlights are, it helps to explain how the latter work. Conventional flashlights are powered by rechargeable or disposable batteries. The production of these batteries involves the use of chemicals such as cadmium, lead, nickel, mercury, lithium and electrolytes. The worst bit is that these batteries are difficult to dispose of safely.
If your flashlight uses disposable batteries, then it’s likely that you dispose them along with other household trash. Ultimately, the batteries end up in landfills. As the casing of the battery begins to corrode, the chemicals used in its production leach into the soil, and find their way into water bodies.
Worse even is the risk that lithium batteries can react in a volatile way when they’re exposed to the environment. They have the potential to cause landfill fires.
If you invest in solar flashlights, you don’t have to worry about any of these risks that arises from using battery-powered flashlights.
Plus, you have a ready source of energy. Whenever there’s a power outage, all you need to do is find your solar flashlight and switch it on. No need to start purchasing disposable batteries or searching for a means to recharge your rechargeable flashlight.
Top 5 Best Solar Flashlights
#1 NPET T09 Solar Flashlight
- 【7 Working Modes Flashlight】: Headlight (4-6hrs) -High, Medium and Flashing, Side White Lamp (4-7hrs) - High and Medium, Side Red Light (6-7hrs) - Flashing and Slow-flashing; Press the switch to change working mode and long press 3s to change working LED.Its beam can be focused that throws light up to an impressive 700 feet
- 【Car Emergency Escape Tool】: Features with window breaker break the stuck window and the seat belt cutter to cut the jammed seat belt; bring safe escape in emergencies, having a self defense LED flashlight tactical can help you get out of most sticky situations
- 【HANDS-FREE】: With a powerful magnet on the side of the flashlight head, you could attach it to the car or other metallic surface to use as a work light, camping lamp or emergency warning light
- 【Reliable and Necessary】: Flashlight is water resistant & shock resistant for use under the most rugged, emergency condition.It comes with a weather resistant anodized aluminum alloy body, easy to grip, tail with a compass for outdoors; Not just for auto emergencies, also great for working, camping, or hiking as it's designed to withstand lots of abuse
- 【Rechargeable Emergency Power Bank】: This solar flashlight has a built-in 2000mAh 18650 battery, could be charged with included USB Cable (4-5hrs) or Solar Power (30hrs), using the USB cable to connect your phone with the flashlight （The battery needs to be greater than 20% ）and charging your phone for emergency
Though the name can feel somewhat of a mouthful, the NPet T09 is an excellent solar flashlight to invest in. What makes this such an incredible flashlight is the fact that it’s multipurpose.
On the surface, it may seem like simply a flashlight, but it’s so much more. It doubles up as a seat belt cutter and a safety hammer. It’s also equipped with a compass on the rear to direct you whenever you’re lost.
However, the manufacturer recommends using the compass feature on its own, exclusive of its flashlight capability. The reason for this is that the flashlight has a magnet, which can affect the accuracy of the compass.
On the plus side, the magnet allows for a hands-free operation. It gives you the freedom to attach it to any metallic surface; hence use freely without holding it.
Speaking of the flashlight, the NPet T09 offers 7 working modes to suit different needs. The flashlight has different runtimes depending on the modes. With the headlight mode, it can work for 4 to 6 hours. In side white lamp, its runtime is 4 to 7 hours and in side red light it works for 6 to 7 hours.
- Equipped with a variety of modes to save on energy
- Comes with car safety tools like a seat belt cutter
- Includes a compass
- Sturdy, water-resistant build
- Bulky design
#2 MECO Solar Powered Rechargeable Flashlight
- Emergency flashlight With Built-In Rechargeable battery, store energy in for a long time, NO
- High conversion efficiency, Cranking for 6 mins gives an hour light, Ready for the uncertain world
- Classic Design, Durable, Army Green vs Dim Gray,Outdoor Survival Gear, Best Gift for Outdoor
- Size: 124x45x32mm Weight: 86g With A Quick to Use Carabiner Clip, Clip it on your backpack and take
- 100% Brand New, Guaranteed by MECO! 40 days money back guarantee!
If you’re looking for a cheaper and more lightweight solar flashlight, you won’t go wrong with the MECO Hand Cracking Solar Powered Flashlight. Going for half the price of our top pick, this emergency flashlight is another option worth looking into.
It comes in an army green color, which is perfect for outdoor excursions where you want to conceal your presence- such as when you’re hunting. It’s equipped with a built-in rechargeable battery, which enables you to store solar power.
Its compact and lightweight design are other aspects why we choose the MECO Flashlight. To be specific, it measures 4.92 x 1.77 x 0.91 inches and weighs about 3 ounces. These features make it incredibly easy to carry on long trips.
For ease of operation, the flashlight is fitted with a carabiner clip. This allows you to attach it to your backpack and take it out for camping, hiking or fishing. And to sweeten the deal, the manufacturer provides a reasonable warranty and money back guarantee. The refund policy applies to goods returned within 40 days while the warranty lasts for one and a half years.
- Has a built-in rechargeable battery to store solar power
- Lightweight and compact
- Equipped with a carabiner clip for ease of carrying
- Backed by 18-months warranty
- Brightness level can be improved
#3 ThorFire Solar Flashlight
- ▶ Solar & Hand crank powered flashlights no batteries needed. This no battery flashlight is perfect for emergencies, power outages or anytime you need light.
- ▶ High Efficiency of Energy Conversion Cranking Flashlight: Just 1 minute cranking will generate enough power for 1 hour long using time.
- ▶ IPX6 Waterproof and Submersible up to 45 feet. Very durable and handy tool for home and outdoor use. Such as for Vehicle use, Camping, Hiking, Travel Etc. Whether you do survival adventure or rock climbing this no battery spotlight is a must have.
- ▶ Bright Flashlight:This solar powered torch light is equipped with high quality LED bulb. Very portable and bright flashlights. Put it in the sun or wind it up to recharge.
- ▶ After-sales Service: ThorFire will provide customers with ONE YEAR hassle-free after-sales service. Order with no worries!
If you’re looking for a solar flashlight that you can rely on specifically during emergency situations, ThorFire is your best bet.
One of the key highlights of this unit is its hand cranking feature. Essentially, if you don’t have access to solar energy, you can simply hand crank it for a minute and it will yield an hour of light.
However, the conventional way of charging it is to expose its solar panels to direct sunlight. An hour of such exposure provides 120 minutes of bright light or 140 minutes of flashing.
Another noteworthy feature of this solar flashlight is its robust design. Featuring IPX6 waterproof rating, this gadget can submersed to a depth of 45 feet. Its durability makes it an excellent addition to your camping, hiking or fishing gear.
ThorFire gives you 3 modes to pick from- 1 LED mode, 3 LEDs mode and SOS Flash mode. The 1 led is meant to provide dim lighting while the 3 leds is designed to provide bright lighting. The SOS setting is reserved for emergency situations. To navigate between these modes, all you need to do is click the power button several times to access each configuration. Overall, you can rely on this gadget to cast out a decent amount of light.
According to the manufacturer, the flashlight has a runtime of 4 hours. This is achieved by exposing it to direct sunlight for at least 2 hours or hand cranking it for a continuous 4 to 5 minutes.
- Provides bright illumination
- Sports a waterproof design
- Backed by 40-day money-back guarantee and 1 ½ year-warranty
- It’s not ergonomically designed, which makes it difficult to hold for a long time
#4 Simpeak Hand Crank Solar Powered Flashlight
- 1. Emergency Army Green Hand Crank Torch, Built-In Rechargeable battery, conveniently generates power for more than 10 minutes’ lighting by 1 minute’s crank (basing one speed of two round per second).
- 2. Solar panel as a back-up powering method absorbs all kinds of light, such as strong and medium sunlight, lamp light and more.
- 3. Ergonomic and rugged design is comfortable and secure to grip in hand. Perfect for daily, emergency and outdoor lighting.
- 4. The built-in durable carabiner securely clips to your backpack, ideal for outdoor activities.Portable Size for out door use:124x45x32mm/86g.
- 5. What you get: 100% Brand New Simpeak Hand Crank and Solar Flashlight, user manual, unprecedented 2-year worry-free and 24 hours customer service.
It is not often that you’ll come across solar-powered flashlights in different colors. But Simpeak has gone a notch higher and provided a solar flashlight in two shades: black and army green.
The green-colored unit is handy if you’re carrying the flashlight on a hunting trip. This hue blends nicely in the forestry environment; thus, preventing you from standing out which could in turn, tip off prey.
Another thing you’ll love about its design is that it’s ergonomic. It’s comfortable and secure to hold in your hand for an extensive period without experiencing fatigue. It’s equipped with a carabiner, which you can use to attach to your backpack or camping outfit for convenient carrying.
Aesthetics aside, this Simpeak Flashlight is a simple and user-friendly device. It can be charged either through hand cranking or by exposing it to sunlight. It comes with a built-in rechargeable battery, which convenient stores power up to that time when it’s needed.
For the price, you’ll get two such solar-powered flashlights, a user manual and a 2-year warranty. This way, you can use one for indoor applications and the other can be used outdoors.
- Excellent value for money; comes with 2 solar flashlights for the price of one
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- Includes a user manual
- Ergonomic and rugged design for durability
- Not the brightest of the bunch
#5 Hybridlight Journey Solar/Rechargeable Flashlight
- HYBRID SOLAR RECHARGEABLE: Charge using the built in solar panel outdoors OR indoors under incandescent lighting, OR by connecting via the included USB cable for rapid charge
- CHARGE OUT TO MOBILE DEVICES: Connect using the included USB cable to charge cell phones and other mobile devices while away from home or during power outages
- EXTREMELY DURABLE AND WATERPROOF: Tested to 3 meters and it floats so you won't lose it
- DUAL MODE: High or Low Beam. Super bright LED shines for up to 25 hours on low beam and 7 hours on high producing 160 lumens of bright white light
- HOLDS A CHARGE FOR YEARS: Always ready when you need it. Perfect for any emergency
If you love traveling, the Hybridlight Journey Flashlight will make an excellent addition to your gear. Whether you’re walking from the train station late at night or looking for an item buried deep in your camping backpack, this flashlight provides ample brightness for illumination.
The flashlight is incredibly lightweight, tipping the scales at 4.5 ounces. It measures 6 inches long and has a diameter of 1.75 inches, meaning it’s not too bulky that it can’t fit in your backpack. Also, it has a polycarbonate shell that feels smooth to touch but is not slippery that it will slide from your hands.
Hybridlight Journey is equipped with LED bulb that casts out a 160-lumen bulb. It also has a decent runtime. When configured to a high setting, it can operate for up to 7 hours without being recharged. In the low beam setting, you can get thrice the runtime; at least 25 hours.
Speaking of recharging, you have two options at your disposal. The most obvious way is to expose its solar panel to direct sunlight. If it’s cloudy or rainy, and you need to use the flashlight urgently, you can charge it using incandescent lighting or by connecting to an outlet using the included USB cable.
The key highlight of this solar flashlight is the fact that it doubles up as a phone charger. Though used to store solar energy, the 2400 mAh lithium-ion battery can also be used to charge a cell phone and other small devices.
- One of the brightest with 160 lumens
- Available in different colors including yellow, black and realtree camo
- Has a runtime of 25 hours when set in low beam
- Can be used to charge mobile devices
- It’s not entirely waterproof as advertised
Whether you’re experiencing a car breakdown or planning an outdoor excursion, a solar flashlight is a really important tool. Since it relies mostly on sunlight for energy, you don’t have to worry about the battery running low or a power outage making it impossible to charge your flashlight.
Simply, expose the tool to direct sunlight for a couple of hours and it will charge and provide illumination. One particular solar flashlight that we recommend investing in is the NPET T09 Solar Flashlight. A multipurpose tool, this flashlight doubles up as a safety hammer and seatbelt cutter. It has 7 different modes and provides a decent amount of light to illuminate a dark area.
Guide for Buying The Best Solar Flashlights
Ideally, all solar-powered flashlights should have a sturdy build. But you should pay more attention to this aspect if you plan to use the device outdoors more often than indoors.
If you like going hunting or camping, there’s a high chance that your flashlight will be subjected to a rough terrain. If it’s not hardy enough, it might not withstand to these elements. To determine how durable your solar flashlight is, look for descriptive terms like “shock-resistant” and”waterproof”.
However, if you don’t plan to use the flashlight as much outdoors, a simple emergency back-up unit will suffice. It doesn’t have to be water-resistant but it should still be made of quality materials.
Size and Weight
There are significant differences between solar-powered flashlights when it comes to the size and weight. The design of the flashlight you choose will depend on your intended purpose. If you’re planning to use it in an outdoor setting, you should opt for one that’s incredibly lightweight.
Keep in mind that flashlights weigh heavier when they’re equipped with additional elements like window shatter tools. Solar panels built into these devices also vary in size, which ultimately affects their overall weight.
For outdoor applications, consider buying a compact unit that can easily fit in your camping backpack. It also shouldn’t have too many features that add up to its weight.
There are three main techniques of charging a solar flashlight. Top-rated units include a minimum of two of these charging methods:
Given that we’re referring to solar-driven gadgets, it comes as no surprise that solar power is a necessary charging method. With solar power, you’re able to charge your flashlight at no additional cost. The only challenges are that it’s a bit slow and exclusively relies on light- preferably direct sunlight.
If you’ve been shopping for a solar flashlight, you’ve probably noticed that some models also allow for USB charging. This offers convenience when you need a fast way to charge your flashlight. Plus, it provides a decent amount of charge, which can then be topped off as needed.
That said, this mostly applies to solar flashlights used indoors. This way, you have a ready source of power to charge your device.
Another technique of charging your solar flashlight is hand cranking. Simply turn the crank for a couple of minutes and you’ll get at least an hour of charge. Often, users resort to hand cranking when they have no access to either electricity or the sun. The good thing is that this approach gives you instant charge to work with, which can come in handy in emergency situations.
Another vital aspect to consider the length of run time of the solar flashlight. This is particularly important if you’ll be using it for long stretches at a time before recharging. Some quality flashlights can last for as long as 10 hours. Others can only work for a maximum of 3 hours. Generally, the standard run time for this type of flashlight is 4 hours.
If you want to get the most run-time, consider buying a flashlight with different modes- preferably the dim or low modes. This way, you can configure it to run on the low mode when you want to save on charge.
The length of time that a solar powered flashlight takes to recharge will differ from one model to the next. The recharge duration is also affected by other factors such as technique of charging being employed (with USB connection being the fastest), size and efficacy of the built-in solar panels.
The angle at which you place the flashlight when recharging using solar energy, and the intensity of sunlight also play a huge role in determining the recharge time.
Most solar-driven flashlights will have one or more LED bulbs. Still, some produce greater brightness than others. If you’ll be using your flashlight in low-light conditions, consider choosing a unit that is bright enough for that application. It should be capable of producing 150 lumens or more. Also, it should be able to illuminate up to several hundred feet. The downside to this is that a bright flashlight will also drain the charge much faster.
It helps to choose a flashlight that has different modes. Most of them will offer a bright and dim mode. The benefit of this is that you can switch to the low-light setting whenever you want to save on battery. Some flashlights have up to 7 different modes that include slow or fast flashing lights for emergency situations as well as running lights.
Some solar flashlights are highly-versatile. They’re equipped with extra tools that make them handy for emergency situations. The most common tools included are:
- A seatbelt cutter
- A compass
- A window shatter tool
- Flexible Solar Panels Buyers Guide and Reviews - March 31, 2020
- The Best Outdoor Solar Light to Decorate Your Property - March 23, 2020
- A Comprehensive Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Review - October 28, 2019
Last update on 2020-04-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API