Water fountains are a great way to introduce an ambiance of peace and serenity into your outdoors, but since most of them operate on a 24/7 basis, they require a whole lot of energy. That’s why the best solar fountains are becoming so popular because they use the sun’s energy to pump water by converting solar power into electricity.
That electricity is basically what the device uses to pump water and create the water fountain effect. It’s important to note here that there are two types of solar-powered water pumps that are used for water fountains. There’s a version which pumps water using energy that’s collected directly from the sunlight, and another version that first stores the solar energy and then uses it to power the pump.
Both options are energy efficient and will save you a ton in energy costs so it depends on your preferences which one you choose.
Top 8 Best Solar Fountains
Solar-powered fountains allow you to enjoy the calming sound of trickling fountain water without worrying about how each drop adds to your energy bill.
The best part is that there’s a wide variety of solar fountain pumps that are able to efficiently convert the sun’s energy into electricity, while automatically driving the height, quantity, and direction of the water.
Below is a list of just 8 of the best solar fountains available on the market for you to choose from based on your unique needs and circumstances.
In a hurry? See our 3 best rated Solar Fountains
#1 Free Standing 1.4W Bird Bath Fountain Pump Review
This Free Standing Solar Pump is known as one of the most durable and long-lasting units on the market. It features a high-quality solar panel that effortlessly collects energy from the sun to keep any solar fountain running smoothly.
In fact, you can purchase this versatile solar pump whether you have a birdbath fountain or a small pond, and it works great when it comes to improving water circulation as it increases the amount of oxygen that flows into the birdbath.
It comes with various different attachments that allow you to have “shower sprays” or just a “bubble out” effect.
Thanks to its small size, installing this pump is super easy and so is moving it around. It’s also discreet enough to place inside the water so that it can collect sunlight and immediately start powering the circulation and water flow using the sun’s energy.
The best part is that you can install it and leave it to do its own thing without any more effort on your part.
Unlike other models on the list, this Free Standing 1.4W Bird Bath Fountain Pump automatically shuts off If the water level becomes too low, so you will not have to worry about refilling the birdbath.
You’ll also be glad to know that this solar pump is super easy to maintain, as it comes with easy to understand instructions on how to keep it nice and clean. Your fish will definitely appreciate the water quality that’s made possible by this water pump as it will work to continuously turn the water in your fountain or pond.
Lastly, the Free Standing 1.4W Bird Bath Fountain Pump is available in dimensions of 45 cm to 70 cm and has the ability to deliver 150 liters of water per hour.
The pump is driven directly by the sunlight, so in order to ensure flawless performance, adjust the angle of the panel and make the sun hit it. It will work continuously only when it had enough sunlight.
To prolong the lifespan of the pump, make sure not to let the pump operate without water for very long.
- Item Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 8.8 ounces
- Item model number: PQ03
- Solar panel: 7V/1.4W
- Brushless pump input: DC 4.5-10V
- Maximum quantity of flow: 150L/h
- Maximum delivery height: 70 cm
- Minimum water height: 45 cm
- This adaptable solar water pump works just as well for birdbath fountains as it does for water ponds
- It features a dedicated suction cup to keep it firmly planted to the base of the fountain
- It can spout water up to a 70 cm height
- It has 3 different heads which allow you to create varying water patterns
- Improves the condition of the water by increasing oxygen and circulation levels
- It turns off automatically if the water level becomes too low
- If customer reviews are anything to go by, this pump is not built to last
- The company’s shipping facilities can use some improvement
#2 Feelle Solar Powered Bird Bath Fountain Pump 1.4W Review
If you want a solar pump that will help create grand visual displays with your fountain water, then the Feelle Solar Powered Bird Bath Fountain Pump is what you’re looking for.
This unit features 6 different spray heads that allow you to transform the size, shape and direction of the water as you wish, creating a truly unique ‘water show’ effect. You can also change the different attachments around until you find the one that provides the right water flow for your particular birdbath fountain.
To ensure the best possible performance, make sure to expose the fountain to direct sunlight. The height of the sprays of water is affected by the amount of sunlight that is being gathered, so this pump can definitely help create some impressive displays.
Water can flow at a maximum height of 18 inches, while the maximum water coverage is 32 inches in diameter.
Installing this solar pump to power your fountain is super easy and doesn’t require any special expertise or knowledge, and it features a sleek design that’s backed by efficient performance. In fact, this solar pump will start collecting sunlight within three seconds of installation, provided it’s exposed to full sunlight that is.
Check out this video demonstration of how does Feelle Solar Powered Bird Bath Fountain Pump work:
It increases the rate of oxygen while continuously circulating the water in your fountain to create a hospitable environment for birds (and your dog!) to drink water from, and it’s suitable for birdbath fountains, ponds and pools too.
In addition to the six attachments and the helpful user guide that this pump comes with, it’s also backed by a 100% money back warranty and Feelle has one of the best customer services in the business!
The good news is that Feelle now offers a Solar Fountain Pump with Battery Backup! The photocell charges the battery, which simultaneously powers the pump.
When the sun goes down the pump will begin to use the stored battery power it has accumulated throughout the day, allowing your pond pump to function even during nighttime!
- Solar panel: 7V/1.4W
- Brushless pump input: DC 4.5-10V
- DC Brushless Pump Power: 0.8W
- Solar panel diameter: 6.3″(16cm)
- Max water flow height: 18″ / Regular:10~15″
- Max water coverage: 32″(80cm) in diameter
- Max pump flow: 40gallons/H
- Min water depth in fountain: 1 3/4″
- This pump will start doing its job within three seconds of installation
- It’s versatile enough to work for fountains, ponds, garden water features and pools
- Provides 32-inch water coverage
- Enables water to spout up to a height of 18 inches high
- No complaints here!
#3 LEDGLE 1.4W Solar Floating Fountain Pump Review
- Solar Powered- Solar-powered, no battery or electricity required, safe and eco-friendly. With solar powered function, no need to plug in any external power supply, offers eco-friendly and energy-saving using experience.
- Unique Function- Creatively designed with direct-drive performance for short start-up time when the solar panel receives sufficient sunlight.This solar pump is perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, yard, garden.
- User-friendly- Convenient to assemble and operate, floats freely on the water; Equipped with 7 fountain nozzle accessories for allowing you to choose your preferable match, works automatically after absorbing enough solar energy.
- Excellent Performance- Proves you with easy installation and operation, able to float freely on the water; besides, specially features detachable design for convenient cleaning to extend the service life.
- Tips- If the fountain pump stops working, you can move it to a shaded area to cool down. Then you can charge it under the sun(outside of water) for 2 hours to reset it.This fountain pump is powered by solar and the strength and height of the water flow depend on the sunlight. If the sunlight is too weak, the fountain will not work continuously, or even stop. The water flow will be effected by variable weather conditions, seasons, locations and other factors.
This is one of those plug-and-play units that start to work immediately after you install it, and it’s fully powered by the sun since it doesn’t come with a power storage battery.
Anyone can install this pump as well, and it’s easy to detach for cleaning and maintenance purposes while cleaning it frequently will extend its lifespan considerably.
As this pump provides different heads and neck lengths, it can be used in so many different ways.
Not only does the LEDGLE Solar Floating Fountain Pump circulate the water in your fountain to create better oxygenation but you can also purchase a unit for your pond and keep your ducks in a clean and happy environment.
This model also comes with different attachments for you to create a water show when you’re entertaining, and while its maximum water outflow is 150 liters per hour, it can spout water to a height of up to 45 cm or 17.7 inches high. It’s made out of polysilicon and plastic which ensures its strength and durability.
The package comes with a complete kit that includes the pump, a helpful user manual and various nozzle attachments for you to change things up every now and then with the direction and flow of the water. Lastly, this water fountain solar pump is backed by a 1-year warranty which is applicable to repairs and replacements.
- Material: polysilicon, plastic
- Voltage (solar panel): 7V
- Power (solar panel): 1.4W
- Voltage (water pump): DC 4.5-10V
- Flow (maximum): 150L/H
- Lift(maximum): 27.6”/70cm
- Spray Height(maximum): 17.7”/45cm
- Easy to install and maintain
- Comes with 7 different attachments to create various visual effects
- Made to last with tough materials
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Starts to work immediately after installation
- Very affordable
- It only works when exposed to direct sunlight
- Doesn’t last long
- It requires regular filter cleaning to keep the pump running
- Could be a bit more powerful
#4 Ankway Solar Bird Bath Fountain Pump Review
- ECO-FRIENDLY SOLAR FOUNTAIN PUMP --- This Ankway solar bird bath fountain pump runs automatically, no battery or electricity needed.
- CONVENIENT FUNCTION DESIGN --- Simply cleaning, easily move to different locations, no plugs required, small, multiple fountain heads for different water patterns. Just floating it on the water, it will run automatically once the solar panel reach enough sunlight.
- MULTI-APPLICATION --- This solar fountain pump has 8 kinds of spraying style.Perfect for outdoor bird bath, fish tank, small pond, garden decoration, water circulation for oxygen. Your bird bath would definitely love birds with it.
- SUGGESTIONS --- Please kindly let the solar power pump kit get the full shine to work (no shadow or cloud)
- EXCELLENT AFTER-SALES SERVICE --- Ankway has been engaging in the Kitchen and Garden products for 10 years, especially in the solar pump. More than 1000,000 customers chose Ankway solar fountain pump to attract the birds and bring the garden vitality. And, all the customers here could get worry-free-12-month and friendly customer service of your fountain pump.
This automatic solar powered pump from Ankway is brush-free and ready to work as soon as you install it. It doesn’t come with a backup battery and runs solely on the sun’s energy with little to no intervention needed from you.
Not only is it easy to install but it’s super easy to clean and maintain as well, and since it doesn’t come with any plugs it stays discreetly out of sight while it powers your birdbath fountain.
Thanks to its lightweight build, moving it around is even easier, which you may need to do when the sun changes its direction throughout the seasons, and it has eight different attachments as well so that you can switch the display up when you want to without much effort.
Its smart design allows for easy cleaning, which is important if you want to keep the unit in good shape. It is a versatile solar bird bath fountain pump that will work smoothly not only in bird baths, but also in small ponds and garden decorations.
It’s important to note here that this solar fountain pump works most efficiently when there’s full sun exposure and its capabilities are diminished when there’s cover.
However, it will definitely keep the fountain going for 24 hours straight during the spring, summer months, and even fall! It’s able to shoot the water up by up to 18 inches at a rate of 40 gallons per hour maximum.
Here’s how different nozzle extensions work:
- Solar panel: 7V/1.4W ,Diameter: 6.3 inches
- Brushless pump input: DC 4.5-10V
- Maximum quantity of flow: 40gallons/H
- Maximum delivery height: 18″, Regular:10~15″
- Minimum water depth in fountain should be 1 3/4″
- Spray combination: 8 kinds of spraying style
- Brush-free and has no plug that takes up extra space
- Sprays water to a height of 18 inches
- Comes with 3 different attachments to create different visual effects with the water
- Features a suction cup to keep the pump stable as it works
- It is easy to set up and clean
- It is quite durable
- Very versatile
- Good price
- Difficult to control water flow
- Doesn’t work in partial shade
- The pump definitely needs larger suction cups
#5 SOONHUA Solar Panel Water Floating Fountain Pump Kit Review
SOONHUA has gone all out with this solar panel pump kit which can shoot water up to a height of 70 cm! If that’s not impressive, we don’t know what is.
Now, pair that with the four nozzle attachments that it comes with and you’ve got an impressive unit that’s able to deliver stunning visual effects while regulating the water pressure according to your preferences.
Some customers reported that the rate of water evaporation due to the spray is quite rapid, so your birdbath may require frequent refill of water.
To install it, all you have to do is place the solar unit on the water and it’ll start operating in about 3 hours once it gathers enough power from the sun.
It also features a beautifully decorated design which compliments the serenity of the surrounding area perfectly.
Thanks to its flexible construction as well you can literally bend this to deliver the water in any direction you like. With an affordable price tag, this unit really offers great value for money and the best part is that it comes with everything you need to install it.
There’s also a safety feature included in its design which allows it to automatically switch off when there’s not enough sunlight for it to draw energy from. Plus, it’s backed by a 2-year guarantee.
- Solar Power Fountain Pump Floating Drifting Panel Pool Pond Garden Decor
- Solar Panel: 7V/1.4W
- Water Pump Output: DC 4.5-10V
- Maximum Flow: 150L/h
- Maximum Lift: 70cm
- Maximum Spraying Height: 45cm
- Four Kinds of nozzles attached for change
- Panel Size(Diameter x Thickness): 16 x 1.2cm
- Flexible and easy to maneuver into different directions
- No installation required
- Comes with a fully equipped pack
- No battery required
- Operates within about three hours of active sunlight collection
- Backed by a 2-year guarantee
- Very flexible
- Creates beautiful patterns
- Very affordable
- Good for larger garden ponds
- Doesn’t work well in cloud cover conditions
- Drains the water very quickly if placed in a smaller container or a birdbath
#6 Solar Bird Bath Fountain Hiluckey Review
With a 1.4W solar panel, it’s no surprise that this fountain pump is one of the best performing on the market. It comes with various sprayer heads that you can use to create a different water show each day and is especially useful for when you’re doing outdoor entertaining.
It is also pleasing to the eye; shaped like a flower planter so you can proudly display it in your garden.
Since this solar pump is able to spout the water to a height of up to 45 cm, with a flow of 150 liters of water per hour, it’ll definitely be an impressive water show. There’s no denying also that this is one of the well-priced units on the markets and gives you more bang for your buck than you’ll find anywhere else.
Since it doesn’t feature any plug, removing it is super easy and so is keeping it clean. You’ll also find that it works just as well for your birdbath fountain as it does for your garden and pond, especially since it can float on water.
The depth of the water does not matter because it will keep running as long as there is any water to pump even when an inch of water has evaporated. However, enough sun is very important. To fully enjoy all the features of this product, it is also important to keep the pump clean.
The filter on the little solar powered motor, on the underside of the cell, can get clogged. If it gets gunky or dirty, it will not work well.
There’s no installation required, as all you have to do is place it and leave it. In fact, this actually looks more like another one of your garden accessories than a solar pump so you don’t have to worry about it messing up the appearance of your outdoor area.
Here is a video demonstration of how well the pump performs:
- Solar panels: 7V / 1.4W
- Solar panel diameter: 16 cm (6.3 inches)
- Pump power: 6V / 0.3-0.4W
- Maximum pump flow: 150 L / H
- Maximum water spray height: 75cm（29.5in）
- Designed to collect solar energy from any angle; no battery required
- Shaped like a flower planter so you can proudly display it
- Features various spouting heads to create different water effects
- Good price
- Often exhibits problems with spouting water
- The instruction manual could use some improvements
#7 OUSI Solar for Fountain Solar Fountain Pump Kit Review
While most people purchase this solar pump to improve the oxygenation and circulation of their fountain water while saving money and energy, others purchase it for the beautiful ambiance it creates.
It’s versatile enough to use on all types of water features around your yard and can spout water up to a height of 45 cm, with an easy to remove nozzle that makes cleaning and maintenance a breeze.
There are lots of safety features on this solar pump as well to make sure that it lasts as long as it’s supposed to, such as bottom cover to keep it from getting clogged. It will also stop working when too much dirt has been accumulated to let you know that it’s cleaning time.
Since it has an energy-saving brushless motor built into it, this pump kit can last for upwards of 10,000 hours in total, and it starts working within three seconds of sufficient exposure to sunlight.
The fact that it functions so well may come as a surprise since this is a budget model of a fountain, but for the money you’re spending it’s working just fine.
It doesn’t perform quite as well as other models on the list, but as long as it’s clean and kept in the sun, you get an even water spray.
The video below compares the performance of two different solar fountain pump models:
- Weight: 6.72 ounces
- Size: 6.3 x 6.3 x 2.2 inches
- Maximum water height: 17.7 inches
- Minimum water depth: 3 inches
- Easy to set up and install
- Can spout water up to a height of 45 cm or 17.7 inches
- Features four nozzles to create interesting water effects
- Improves water circulation
- It automatically stops operating when there’s too much dirt or blockage
- Features a bottom cover to prevent blockages
- Longer service life
- Very decent budget fountain
- More than 10,000 hours lifespan
- Only works in full sun
- The instruction manual can be a bit difficult to understand
#8 Alvivi Solar Bird Bath Fountain Pump Review
- Solar Power Fountain Pump: with highly efficient solar panel, solar powered, no battery or electricity High energy conversion rate and environmental-friendly.
- Multi-Application：The Solar Water Fountain can float in the water, high flexibility,Uitable for various occasions, like bird bath, fish tank, small pond, garden decoration.
- High flexible and Strong stability: The Bird Bath Fountain will start automatically in 3 seconds when sufficient sunlight gained. With the advantages of fast start, high efficiency and strong stability.
- 4 Nozzle Sprayer Heads Design：Solar for Fountain have four different sprayer heads for different water style, assemble different spray heads for different height and shape of the water flow.
- How To Use: First pls remove the screen protector on pump first ,since it will works better after you remove the protector. TIPS Please check the seller of this product to be Alvivi, or you may get fake product(low quality,cheap junk)without any after-sales customer service. Any problem with it from Alvivi, we will resolve in 24h (replace or refund). The pump is driven directly by the sunlight. So it will work continuously only when the sunlight is enough. As the power of the solar panel depends on the sunlight, so the water trength is uncertain.
This easy-to-use solar fountain pump is super easy to set up because all you have to do is place it on the water to float, and it’ll start collecting the sun’s power through its energy-efficient solar panels immediately.
Thanks to its intuitive design, you shouldn’t have any trouble keeping it clean either, and the four nozzle heads make for a beautiful array of aesthetically pleasing water effects.
It’s also versatile enough to work in both fountains and small ponds with equal efficiency and its beautiful, low-profile design makes it an ideal addition to your garden or outdoor entertaining space.
When exposed to direct sunlight, it sprays water quite high, which makes it suitable not only for larger birdbaths but alos small ponds.
Other great features on this solar pump are the six attachment heads which are accompanied by a helpful user guide, and there’s a 100% warranty for you to fall back on if the product requires repairs or replacement.
- Super-efficient and eco-friendly
- Starts working within three seconds of installation and sun exposure
- Easy to install and use
- Has six attachments for you to work with
- Very affordable
- Only works when there’s full sun exposure
- It doesn’t float evenly – it’s not easy to keep it centred or straight
- The suction cups on the bottom are too small
- The lack of instructions is disconcerting
There’s nothing more relaxing than the sound of trickling water from a water fountain, as you relax in your outdoor lounge with a beautiful view ahead, and a glass of wine in hand to unwind after a busy day at work. Increasing energy prices are making this a luxury for many but that doesn’t have to be the case, thanks to energy-efficient solar fountain pumps.
Now what you want is a pump that’s energy efficient, fast-acting and versatile. The Feelle Solar Fountain Pump is not only visually appealing but it ticks all the boxes when it comes to performance, and makes for a wonderful addition to any eco-friendly backyard.
How Solar Fountains Work?
The water flows into the birdbath fountain from the pump which is also responsible for the direction in which the water goes. You can also maneuver the pump to determine the height and direction of the water, but what makes it to operate consistently is the energy it gets from the sun.
You see, as soon as you decide on which direction the water should take, you can just leave the pump in that position the whole time and allow it to do its thing. Pretty soon birds will be coming by to take a bath and drink from it while you enjoy the combined sounds of their pleasant singing with the serene trickles of fountain water.
What You Should Consider When Buying a Solar Fountain
If you’re on the market for the best solar powered fountain pump, you’ll have to consider a few important factors before you make your final purchase. After all, you want to choose a model that’s effective at collecting and converting the sun’s energy to effortlessly power your birdbath fountain while being durable enough to last longer than just a few weeks.
Luckily, there are plenty of well-made solar fountains for you to choose from on the market, most of which are not only long-lasting but eco-friendly as well.
Here are some helpful tips on what to look out for when searching for the ultimate solar fountain pump.
Size of the Pump
The size of the solar powered fountain pump you choose will be contingent on the size of your fountain itself. Choosing the right size also requires that you keep certain factors in mind, such as the amount of water that you’d like for it to pump, as there are low-volume units which typically spout small amounts of water, while high-volume models spout really large volumes of water to create a dazzling visual effect.
Likewise, the size of your solar pump will also determine how high you’re able to regulate the water. To be more specific, a small water fountain pump typically has dimensions of 18 to 24 inches and is able to circulate 45 to 60 gallons of water per hour.
If you’re looking for a model that’ll circulate water out of a pond, then you should go for a 60 to 72 inch unit, as it’ll be able to circulate 160 to 250 gallons of water per day.
Where Will You Place the Pump?
Where you place the pump really depends on your preferences. Do you want the pump to remain discreetly hidden away? Then go for a model that has long wiring so that you can connect it to the fountain and then hide the solar panel away from view elsewhere while making sure that it’s not shaded from the sun as it requires full sun exposure to work efficiently.
On the other hand, if you don’t mind having the solar panel displayed next to the fountain and want to show off how eco-friendly and energy efficient your home is, you can just place it directly next to the birdbath water fountain.
The good news is that there are beautifully designed units out there with intricate flower pot or bird-like patterns that make it look more like an outdoor decoration piece than a solar pump.
When Should the Fountain Work?
Solar birdbath fountains also differ in terms of the amount of time that they stay switched on throughout the day. For example, you have fountains that stay on for 24 hours, while other units switch off at night and only operate during the day.
If yours is a 24-hour model, then you’ll have to invest in a solar pump that’s able to store energy in a rechargeable battery so that it has a power source to draw from when the sun is not out. It’s also going to need more energy than a birdbath fountain that switches off at night so keep that in mind too.
On the other hand, solar birdbath fountains that only run during the day are perfectly capable of running on solar energy alone without the need for an extra energy source.
Latest posts by Robert (see all)
- A Comprehensive Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Review - October 28, 2019
- Goal Zero Torch 250 Review: Is It Worth the Money? - October 22, 2019
- How to Clean Solar Panels - October 12, 2019
Last update on 2020-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API