While you may not be familiar with the phrase ‘solar motion sensor light’ you’ve probably seen this type of light being used at some point in your life. They’re usually mounted in outdoor areas that need a little extra light like parks, house exteriors and gardens. A solar motion sensor light usually features a metal frame and is typically positioned so that it can receive maximum solar power.
Like any solar energy device, solar motion sensor lights work by harvesting the sun’s energy to either power a light immediately or to store the energy for future use. What makes them unique is that they only work when they sense movement, hence the name. This is what makes them ideal for use in a variety of outdoor applications and they’re great for use as part of your home security setup.
Overall Our Top Pick
- Extreme Weather Proof
- 100 Bright LEDs
- 120 Degree Motion Sensor Up To 26 Feet
- 3 Lighting Modes
Motion Sensor Types
Solar motion sensor lights come in different varieties, such as:
- Passive Infrared
This type of solar motion sensor light activates whenever it detects body heat, which it registers as infrared energy. It’s the most popular option among homeowners and it usually works in tandem with your home security system. It works by warming up the sensor so that it’s able to create a movement detecting grid that keeps track of the surrounding area. As soon as the sensors sense that there’s a moving object that’s coming across multiple grid zones, it activates by switching on the light.
As the name implies, Microwave or MW solar motion light sensors work by thrusting out microwave pulses. Although they’re able to cover more space than an infrared sensor, they do come with a couple of downsides such as the fact that they’re a bit expensive and susceptible to electrical interference.
- Dual Technology
There are also motion sensors that attempt to provide the best of both worlds, like models that are a combination of a microwave sensor and a passive infrared sensor.
They come with a reduced occurrence of false alarms because they combine both passive and active components that must be triggered and activated at the same time before the light can turn on.
Top 9 Best Solar Motion Sensor Lights
Solar motion sensor lights are a superb way to keep your pathways and other outdoor areas illuminated while saving the environment and keeping your light bill low. The only difficult thing about purchasing solar motion sensor lights is finding the right model because there are just so many options to choose from nowadays!
The good news is that we’ve put together a list of what we consider to be the best models on the market to narrow down your selection.
#1 URPOWER Solar Lights 8 LED Wireless Motion Sensor Review
- UNIQUE DESIGN: We designed the internal circuit diagram of the lamp...
- SUPER BRIGHT&LONG WORKING TIME: Compared with other common 4 or 12 led...
- WEATHER RESISTANCE: IP64 waterproof and heatproof, solar powered...
This solar motion sensor light from URPOWER is weatherproof and this makes it suitable for use in all weather conditions. It also covers a wider distance than previous models and the solar panel comes with the capacity to keep 8 LED lights on for up to 7 hours.
These come in a pack of four and they’re completely wireless and perfect for a versatile number of uses. Their large size doesn’t limit their functionality at all, and you’ll be glad to know that they’re easy to use.
- Wireless and easy to install anywhere
- Weatherproof and waterproof
- Comes as a four pack
- The large solar panel makes for quick charging during daylight hours
- Comes with 9 LED bulbs per light
- Provides brilliant illumination
- Its design can be a bit of an eyesore for some people
- It doesn’t come with an off-switch
- Can only be mounted on a wall
- Requires a solid 6 to 8 hours of charging before it can start working
- Only gets triggered when it detects movement
#2 LITOM 24 LED Solar Lights Outdoor Review
- 【World-leading Solar Light Brand】As the leader of the solar light...
- 【Brighter & Wider Lighting】Equipped with upgraded high power LEDs...
- 【All-Day Working Light】LITOM LED light absorbs and converts...
This motion sensor light from LITOM is perfect for anyone that’s looking for a really brilliant source of outdoor light at night. It comes with 24 powerful LED bulbs per light that can illuminate a space for up to 8 hours.
It offers wireless installation and comes with all the screws you need to set it up, as well as three operation modes to suit different applications. For example, the medium light mode can be used for your driveways and pathways while the motion mode is great for illuminating objects that are 10 to 26 feet away.
- Provides an impressive 526 lumens of light
- Each light comes with 24 LED bulbs
- Offers wireless installation and use
- Three different operation modes for customized use
- Comes with replaceable batteries to enable prolonged usage
- These are only available in singles which makes them quite costly
- The LED bulbs last only 2 years
- The light intensity decreases over time
- They only charge when exposed to direct sunlight and don’t perform well in cloudy conditions
#3 Solar Lights Outdoor, 29 LED Solar Motion Sensor Lights Review
This is a powerful motion sensor light that has the ability to detect movement as far as 16 feet away. It has a 5-year lifespan with a generously sized solar panel and LED lights that can provide up to 10 hours of light.
The great thing about these lights is that they can really keep a charge and they automatically switch off in the morning when natural light comes on. You’ll also find that there are two brightness settings that come with a pack of four lights for you to use, each of which is both water and heatproof.
- Visually appealing design
- Easy to install
- Provides bright illumination
- Water and heatproof
- Can provide up to 10 hours of light in one go
- Good quality construction
- The battery can be difficult to access
#4 LEPOWER Solar LED Security Light Review
- SOLAR POWERED & ENERGY SAVING: The solar lights is 2 super bright LED...
- HIGH SENSITIVITY & ADJUSTABLE DESIGN: Up to 180°wide sensing angle...
- IP65 WATERPROOF: IP65 waterproof rating ensures that your 2 heads...
The LEPOWER solar motion sensor light promises to reduce your electric bill by up to 80% by providing 950Im-level illumination using just solar power. It comes with a conveniently long cord that’s 15 feet long and the silicon solar panel is interconnected to the ABS light heads.
Each package comes with 2 lights that are at an angle of 180 degrees, and you can adjust them if you like so that they’re directed according to your preferences. It’s also weatherproof and able to maintain its charge regardless of the weather conditions. That’s why it comes highly recommended for use on areas like stairs, garages, pathways etc. It works great as a flagpole light too.
What’s even better is the fact that this light will serve you for up to 50,000 hours and it comes with an ETL certification which denotes high performance and quality.
- This is a well-made, high-quality unit
- Easy to install
- Requires that you charge it for three days after you purchase it before it can work
#5 New Upgraded 36 LED Solar Lights with Wide-Angle Illumination Review
- 1.Three Optional Modes 1.security mode(Motion sensor turns the light...
- 2.Sensitive PIR Motion Inductor: With upgraded Motion Sensor Detector...
- 3.Ultra Bright Lights: High-efficient LED lights with wide-angle...
This motion sensor light from Aootek comes with motion detectors that can sense movement from up to 26 feet away and its corner LEDs make for better efficiency than previous models. It’s also able to cover a wider distance thanks to the wide-angle design, and the rechargeable battery will last you for some time to come.
There are three operation modes to choose from on this model which means you can use it for different purposes, whether it’s to light up far away objects or to just come on whenever you step outside at night.
It’s suitable for outdoor placement pretty much anywhere because of its waterproof, heatproof and weatherproof as well. It’s also really good at absorbing the sun’s energy to automatically power up the lights through a very efficient monocrystalline solar panel.
- Very powerful and efficient sensor
- Great value for money
- Comes with a long-lasting battery
- Easy to install
- Comes with different modes, including a remarkable dim feature
- Doesn’t perform well when it’s cloudy out
#6 Neloodony Solar Motion Sensor Light Outdoor Review
- 【Outdoor Solar Light】28 LEDs motion sensor solar lights outdoor...
- 【Solar Powered Lights】Licon can work for 8-10 hours from just 6-8...
- 【Motion Sensor Detector】Greater sensor can detect up to 10-26 feet...
Neloodony has really gone out of their way with the upgrades on this solar motion sensor light, as it features more efficient solar panels, 1200mAh battery capacity, 28 LEDs that are larger than before and 400 lumens of light.
The lights come on automatically at night and switch off in the morning without any effort on your part, and they immediately turn on whenever they sense movement, thanks to the included sensor ball head that’s able to sense motion from a distance of up to 26 feet.
- Comes with powerful motion sensor technology
- Timer switches it on and off automatically
- Easy to install
- Weather and waterproof
- Amazing value for the money
- No complaints here
#7 URPOWER CO04 SL001 Review
- 【Three Convenient Modes】1.Constant On Mode(it turns on at night...
- 【Bright &Working Long Hours】Equipped with 64 high-quality LED lamp...
- 【Sensitive PIR Motion Sensor】Equipped with upgraded motion...
These wall-mounted solar motion sensor lights come in a pack of four and offer a downlight effect with an extension arm to suit different preferences. The 20 LED bulb panel on this means that you’ll be getting brilliant light each time you switch it on and it can detect movement from as far as ten feet away.
The light stays on for 35 seconds or so after the initial illumination and if there’s no more movement, it will switch right off again.
- Comes as a pack of four
- Comes with mounting screws for ease of installation
- Features an extension arm
- The downlight option means you can regulate the light so that it’s not too bright
- Powerful motion sensors
- Made from durable and weatherproof stainless steel
- It only turns on when it senses movement
- 100 lumens per light is quite low
- While the downlight might make your neighbors happy it does limit your light span
#8 Sunix Solar Security Light IP65 Waterproof Outdoor Solar Wall Light Review
- 1.3 TIMES BRIGHTER SENSITIVE PIR MOTION SENSOR ★-Upgraded 42 White...
- ADJUSTABLE LIGHT LAMP & SOLAR PANEL★-Solar panels can rotate 360...
- 2 BRIGHTNESS WORKING MODES 2-in-1 INSTALLATION ★- The Solar Motion...
Since this solar motion sensor light comes as a single light, it’s mostly used for areas like carports, stairways, patios and garages. It comes with two screws for easy wall-mounting, and it provides a nice dim light throughout the night so that it’s not completely dark out.
However, it puts out a much stronger and brighter light whenever it senses movement within 26 feet which makes it very energy efficient.
Once fully charged, this light can stay on for up to 8 hours at a time and it requires 2 to 3 hours of exposure to direct sunlight in order to work optimally. The solar panel is made from durable aluminum alloy that gives it an efficiency rating of 19% which is pretty impressive for a solar motion sensor light of this size.
Another great feature is the fact that the LEDs provide up to 1400 lumens of light, which is not just super bright but is also in line with IP65 standards. This means that these lights are weatherproof and resistant to both water and heat.
- Its powerful motion sensors are triggered by even the slightest movement
- Provides a nice balance between dim and super bright light
- Affordable price
- Good quality built
- Light lasts right through the night
- We have nothing bad to say about this solar motion sensor light
#9 Costech Ultra Bright 90 LED Solar Motion Sensor Review
- Super Bright - The light has 90 super-bright, white LEDs with 600...
- Ambient Light & PIR Motion Sensor - The solar light has daylight and...
- 3 Control Dials - Our lights have Three Control Dials LUX, SENS, TIME....
If you’re looking for a good quality LED security light for a fraction of the price then this solar motion sensor light is the way to go. It comes with a super-efficient solar panel that converts about 17% of the sunlight it gets into energy that you can use. It also comes with an automatic switch that turns it on at night and off in the morning, a long-range PIR sensor and a lithium-ion battery that has a long lifespan.
It’s perfect for installation on your driveway to illuminate your pathway, porch, garage or parking area. A 7-hour charge gets you 12 hours of non-stop operation.
- Easy and simple to install
- Provides super bright light on a full charge
- Long lasting battery
- Features an efficient solar panel
- Comes with a convenient auto-switch feature
- Great product, no complaints
A solar motion sensor light is more than just a source of illumination for your outdoor areas, but a great security feature that won’t cost you a cent after the initial purchase.
Of all the options we’ve reviewed above, the 4-pack URPOWER solar lights takes the cake with some great features. For one, it’s got 8 LED bulbs panel that offers truly brilliant light, an extension arm and downlight effect so that the light isn’t too harsh, and an auto-switch feature. It’s also easy to install and it’s made from super durable and weatherproof stainless steel.
- 10 Best Solar Generators Review in 2020 – A Complete Buyer’s Guide - June 5, 2020
- 11 Best Flexible Solar Panels Review in 2020: A Complete Buyer’s Guide - March 31, 2020
- The Best Outdoor Solar Light to Decorate Your Property - March 23, 2020
Last update on 2020-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API