In those early days when your solar panels were first installed, they were beautiful. They were shiny, clean and super-efficient. But over time, dust in the air, spots from rain, pollen and more collected on your panels. But the right solar panel cleaning equipment can get your solar panels back to that sparkling clean that keeps them generating electricity efficiently.
Best Solar Panel Cleaning Equipment in 2019
Here are the best solar panel cleaning equipment available on the market right now:
#1 Aqua Spray Water Fed Pole Kit
- POLE EXTENDS FROM 7 FOOT TO 24 FOOT
- MADE FROM STRONG & LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM
- FOAM GRIP HANDLE FOR COMFORT
- WATER HOSE LENGTH 18 FEET FROM BASE, 1/4 INCH MALE BRASS CONNECTOR FOR "GARDENA" HOSE CONNECTION (included)
- SAFELY CLEAN WINDOWS FROM THE GROUND UP TO 24 FT
With a twenty-four-foot telescoping pole attached to the aqua spray head, you’ll be able to clean your solar panels in no time without lugging around heavy ladders or risk falling off them. It works great for those oddly placed panels, too, the ones that it is really hard to reach with even the tallest ladder.
Even the hardest grime such as bird droppings or caked-on pollen yields to the built-in scrubber and auto sprayer.
The telescoping pole is made from lightweight aluminum, making it easy to manipulate. Its reach is between seven feet and twenty-four feet. You can attach the sprayer to the garden hose for a continuous feed of water.
The soft brushes help you clean the surfaces of the panels without scraping, and help prevent the water spots that can occur when simply hosing off a solar array.
- Double gooseneck with brush and squeegee
- Foam grip handle
- Connection with any garden hose
- Stiff extensions
#2 Clean Tool Electric Telescopic Cleaning Photovoltaic Panel Rod
- STURDY AND DURABLE:It is made of sturdy, lightweight aerospace aluminum,the soft sponge-covered handle holds.steel buckle fixing, perfect closure, easy to install, easy to remove.
- TELESCOPIC ROD:This clean brush length can free adjusted,Adjustment range 3.5m-7.5m.It make user easly cleans windows or decks or other high areas near the home.
- STRONG CLEANING EFFORT:With soft feather bristles and 1pcs water holes,Easy adjustment of brush direction with the included gooseneck attachment, Allows you to easily solve dust and stains in every corner.
- COPPER INTERFACE:Brass hose connectors can be easily connected to garden hoses using any hardware store available with hose couplers (quick connectors, not included).
- MULTIPLE-APPLICATIONS:Easily clean the stains of solar panels,also suitable for cleaning cars, trucks, vans, caravans, windows, greenhouses, boats, decks, etc.
Talk about your perfect cleaning tool for solar collectors! It works on windows and for hardtops on vehicles, too. The aluminum extension rod handle has soft sponge covered handholds that protect your hands while you are using the tool. Steel buckles provide the perfect closure for removable parts making them not only easy to install, but also easy to remove.
The gooseneck attachment makes it easy to change the direction of the tilt of the cleaning head. This makes it easy to get those hard to reach corners and odd angles.
The clean tool has options for brass hose connectors that allow it to be connected to any garden hose. The connectors are not sold with the tool, but are readily available from most hardware stores.
- Sturdy and durable
- Telescopic rod
- Copper interface
- Multiple applications
#3 Mr. Long Arm 1005 Window/Solar Panel Cleaning Kit
- Two-in-One, easy-to-use kit extends your reach to clean windows and solar panels faster, safer, and easier
- Hydrasoar attaches to standard garden hose (not included)
- Unique curved slider tube allows the user to manipulate the movements of the tools to reach areas that would otherwise be impossible using a straight pole
- Tool handles rotate smoothly on the specially-designed tapered fitting of the procurve extension pole
- Includes procurve extension, hydrasoar flow-through extension, sorbo squeegee, 2 procurve tool handles, deluxe wash sleeve, support bar, soft flow-thru Brush, canvas carrying case, and instructions
Extension poles with a cleaning tool on one end and well-designed handles on the other create an easy-to-use dual-purpose cleaning kit. Mr. Long Arm takes it a step farther with the procurve system intended to make cleaning solar panels and windows easier, faster and better environmentally.
Lower your carbon footprint with a system that uses the hydrasoar flow-through extension pole and a soft brush end attachment to access windows and solar panels from the ground or to safely reach those really hard to get places that require finesse even from a ladder or scaffolding.
The system includes the flow-through extension pole, a soft brush attachment, a sorbo, a squeegee channel, and 2 procurve handles as well as a deluxe wash sleeve, 14-inch support bar canvas carrying bag, and most important of all, the instructions.
- Includes a canvas carrying case
- Handle rotates
- Curved slider tube
- Pole isn’t long enough
#4 Mr. LongArm 1009 Pro Curve Cleaning System Kit
- It is designed to clean solar panels faster, safer, easier and is better for the environment
- Easy to maneuver in space restricted areas
- Handy canvas case
- Clean solar panels faster, safer and easier
- Better for the environment - leaves no carbon footprint and conserves on water
Dirty solar panels can reduce collection efficiency up to 30 percent, and possibly more. Think about the windows in your home. When they are covered with grit and grime, they emit less light and it is harder to see out of them. Since electrical generation depends on the sunlight hitting the sensitive solar collection units, it is easy to see how dust, dirt, pollen, ice or snow is likely to cut down on efficiency.
The Procurve solar system reduces water use, consumes less time and is much more efficient. The slider tube is a unique design that makes it possible to manipulate the tool handle, enabling reaching solar panels that might otherwise be inaccessible.
A standard garden hose can deliver water to the flow-thru brush. This makes cleaning much easier when a water supply is available. The flow control valve that acts as a shut off makes it possible to conserve water in places where water is a precious commodity.
- Includes microfiber cleaning cloth
- Flow-thru angle adaptor
- Comes with acrylic microfiber sleeves that won’t scratch
- Cheap product
Why You Should Clean Your Solar Panels?
Your need to clean your solar panels will depend on where you live. Some areas have a lot of loose dirt that gets blown around, others can have a pollen count so high that it leaves a yellow film on every outdoor surface. Areas with high rainfall will have the least amount of difficulty with dust, dirt, and pollen, but might develop hard water spots. In cold areas, precipitation might turn into snow or ice that can block the collector.
How to Clean
Solar panels come is a wide variety of types and styles. The most common are the glass-fronted panels that are installed either on roofs or on ground-level frames. Ground-mounted panels are often used for large installations where there simply will not be enough roof space.
They are, in many ways, the easiest to clean and maintain because no ladders or scaffolds are involved. You should, however, check for breaks or leaks around the edges of your panels to avoid getting water on the electrical parts.
Checking the panels to see that they are in proper working order is a good idea for roof installations, as well. But the big issue with a roof is its accessibility. “Roof” can mean all sorts of shapes, materials, and different degrees of access risk.
If you’ve not worked in a rooftop environment before, it is a good idea to study up on safety precautions for working in elevated environments.
Keep in mind that the information provided here is for your information. It is just to give you some ideas about what is possible and to make suggestions. When in doubt, call in the professionals.
Best Solar Panel Cleaning Tools
How to judge the “best” in best solar cleaning tools? It isn’t always the most expensive or the fanciest tool that will work well for you.
- Brushes and Poles
One of the main components of your solar panel cleaning tool is the pole. You want a pole that is sturdy but that is light enough to handle from the ground or from a ladder or scaffolding. It needs to either collapse or come apart for storage or for work that is closer to the ground.
The other main component is the cleaning head, which will often be a soft-bristle brush. You want a brush that is sufficiently stiff to brush away loose dirt and to scrub stuck-on bits like the little presents that birds like to leave for you.
- Water Pumps
If you are a modern homesteader who is doing back to the land effort, a pressurized well might not be available. In such cases, you can purchase a small water pump from your local hardware that can be battery-driven or run off a small generator.
- Water Purification Equipment
Hard water is tough on solar panels. It can cause spotting and create mineral deposits. If you know that your water is too hard to do laundry easily or your soap won’t lather up in the shower, you might want to invest in a water filtering/purification system. You might even be able to make your water purifier part of your passive solar system. If that is not an option, you can purchase a stand-alone water filter/purifier that will clean the excess minerals from your water.
If you are collecting rainwater or if you have soft water in your area, then mineral deposits on your solar collectors won’t be a problem. Just go easy on the cleaner so you don’t develop a soap film.
Extra tall roofs and similar situations are sometimes out of reach of even the best solar panel cleaning equipment. In such cases, you will need to use a ladder or even scaffolding to reach your collectors. OSHA provides a safety manual for roof workers, which can apply to home DIY roof projects as well. Remember, clean is good, but keep safe by following the best practices precautions.
By using the best solar panel cleaning equipment you can keep your photovoltaic charging panels in excellent condition. There are a lot of things about solar panels that cannot be easily cured, such as browning with age. But keeping dust and dirt off them will increase their efficiency to an amazing degree.
You don’t need every tool listed on this page; just the one that will work well for you. But this selection will help you select the one that is your “just right” solution for clean solar panels, windows, and other hard-to-reach surfaces.
Latest posts by Robert (see all)
- A Comprehensive Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Review - October 28, 2019
- Goal Zero Torch 250 Review: Is It Worth the Money? - October 22, 2019
- How to Clean Solar Panels - October 12, 2019
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API