Whether it’s family fun in the summer, or swimming for exercise, everybody loves a splash in the pool from time to time. Unfortunately, due to the chlorine in the water, this isn’t possible for everyone. The hives and skin irritation caused by chlorine can be uncomfortable. However, solar pool ionizers can change the way you swim for good.
There are so many pool ionizers and purifiers in the market that it’s so difficult to search for the right ionizer for your pool. These ionizers come with various features as well as limitations. It’s important to check out the specifications as these ionizers are developed for different pool sizes. We have prepared this brief article to help you choose the right product for your pool.
Let’s quickly take a look at the best products currently available in the market.
This ionizer is one of the best in the market. With a capacity of managing 32,000 gallons of water, it is an effective algae killer, water purifier, and mineralizer. It is equipped with a ton of features therefore known as the all-in-one product in the market.
This pool ionizer comes with a cleaning capacity of 35,000 gallons of water, and is capable of reducing the chlorine usage in your swimming pool by 85%! It also comes with a lifetime guarantee as well as a full cleaning kit.
This solar-powered ionizer is similar to the previous two ionizers as it treats up to 35,000 gallons of water. With an 85% chlorine reduction, this is a great purchase for those with sensitive skin or looking for a more natural and environmentally friendly pool.
How Do Solar Pool Ionizers Work?
First of all, what is a solar pool ionizer? They are water purifiers that use solar technology to generate a secure and continuous low voltage trickle feed of solar generated electrical power that ionizes mineral ions into the water of your pool.
Copper, silver and zinc ions have been proven to prevent algae and bacterial growth in water. Although there are different kinds and models of solar pool ionizers (also called mineralizers) they all work according to the same basic principle, that is by dispersing ions in a body of water that contrast and control the aforementioned growth of algae and/or bacteria.
The way a solar pool ionizer work is relatively simple. The sun’s rays are harvested and converted into a low voltage current connects to an anode (an electrode that facilitates oxidation reactions). The release of ions and minerals ensures a cleaner pool.
Pros And Cons Of Solar Pool Ionizers
Like any product with a such a specific purpose, solar pool ionizers have both their set of pros and cons.
- Solar pool ionizers are one of the best tools against the proliferation of algae, especially in hotter, humid weathers.
- Solar pool ionizers use natural minerals with no additives meaning they are a clean and eco-friendly way of contrasting algae and other harmful micro-organisms that infest pools.
- This also means you need no artificial algaecides and less chlorine (some solar pool ionizers reduce chlorine levels to drinking level purity).
- The copper-silver ionization is extremely effective in killing harmful bacteria and viruses. Poorly maintained pools have been shown to be a catalyst in the spread of waterborne diseases and infections. The highly efficient anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of both copper and silver have been known for centuries and can easily eliminate multiple threats such as Legionella, E.Coli and Giardia.
- While there are other products and methods that reduce algae, bacteria and chlorine requirement in pools (such as UV and Ozone systems), solar pool ionizers are by far the best value when it comes to price and energy consumption.
- Solar pool ionizers do not oxidize or eliminate organic material such as sweat, lotion or makeup.
- All pool ionizers have a cell that must be replaced after extended usage (in a time period between 3 months and 3 years). These cells can cost upwards of 200$, a figure that must be calculated in your budget but as chlorine, algaecides and PH balancing chemicals are reduced it is still very much a positive investment
- Some solar pool ionizers have the potential to stain your pool if faulty or not properly maintained. Newer and improved models reduce the chance of this happening drastically.
Best Pool Ionizers Reviewed
Now that we have discussed the best picks from our list, let’s dive into the details to figure out what exactly each product has to offer.
XtremepowerUS 90120 Pool Solar Ionizing System
- Brand: XtremepowerUS
- Effectiveness: 32,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 9 x 9 x 2 inches
This solar pool ionizer is an excellent, low voltage algae killer that can significantly reduce the amount of chlorine needed in your pool water. This consequently reduces chances of eye, skin, and hair irritation, whilst making your expenditure on chlorine significantly lower.
- Low voltage
- Significantly reduces chlorine usage
- Removes unwanted chemicals such as calcium from pool water
- No guarantee included
CopperFlo Solar Pool Ionizer
- Brand: CopperFlo
- Effectiveness: 45,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 10.87 x 10.28 x 7.72 inches
Copper has designed and developed this high-quality solar pool ionizer for your swimming pool. It will prevent algae and reduce the amount of chlorine by 85% from your pool water. It can treat 45000 gallons pools with quite an ease.
- Highest quality
- Efficient and effective
- Doesn’t require batteries
- Includes a free buddy band to protect the ionizer
- Doesn’t perform well in less heat
Floatron Original Solar Powered Water Ionizer
- Brand: Floatron
- Material: Copper/Silver Alloy
- Dimensions: 12 x 12 x 8 inches
- Effectiveness: 35,000 gallons
This ionizer uses a copper electrode to clean and mineralize pools, ponds, and water features. It reduces chlorine levels up to 80% whilst ensuring that it doesn’t damage your hair, eyes, or skin. Once, it is put into the pool it doesn’t require any human intervention anymore. However, it is can only be used for small-sized pools.
- Comes with an effective copper electrode
- Works in various forms of water
- 80% chlorine usage production
- No guarantee
- Treatment capacity is very low
No More Green Technologies Original Solar Powered Pool Ionizer
- Brand: No More Green Technologies
- Effectiveness: 35,000 gallons
With the help of copper bars, this solar pool ionizer can last more than two years. It treats 35,000 gallons of water, whilst regularly regulating copper ion levels. It uses a solar-powered panel to provide electrical energy to the copper anode for under-water ion distribution.
- Works as an effective algae killer in 35,000 gallons of water
- Low price
- Regulates copper ion levels
- Possibility of staining your pool floor a copper tint
SUNTOUCH TREASURES Solar Pool Maid Ionizer
- Brand: SUNTOUCH
- Capacity: 35,000 gallons
If you are worried about pool chemicals that can harm your skin, worry no more. The SUNTOUCH TECHNOLOGIES has built this fast, safe to use, and user-friendly pool ionizer technology to ionize the pool water of your swimming pool. It is powered by a solar panel. You just have to throw it into your swimming pool and it will be good to go.
- Capacity up to 35000 gallons
- Fast, safe, and easy to use
- Excellent US-based customer service
- Low built quality
Hilltop Solar Swimming Pool Ionizer And Purifier
Hilltop solar pool ionizer has a superior quality anode that releases 99.9% refined ions to treat your swimming pool. It can treat up to 14000 gallons of water and saves a lot of money.
- Super quality anode
- Highly efficient
- User friendly
- Cost saver
- Treatment capacity is low
XtremepowerUS 90119 Solar Pool Ionization System
- Brand: XtremepowerUS
- Effectiveness: 35,000 gallons
You’re gonna need more bathing suits as we have another XtremepowerUS product on our list. XtremepowerUS pool ionizers are designed to meet customers’ expectations. These pool ionizers not just take care of your pools but also your skin.
- Provide complete solution
- Highly effective
- Treats 35000 gallons of water
- No after-sale services
- Low quality
Hilltop Solar Swimming Pool Ionizers
Reducing the chlorine level in your swimming pool has never been more convenient. Hilltop manufactures and supplies amazing pool ionizers that improve your pool chemistry. The copper anode present in a single unit produces 99.9% refined copper-silver ions that reduce the chlorine exposure inside your swimming pool.
- Comes with an LED ionization indicator
- High-quality item
- Save a lot of money
- Low gallons capacity
Solar Pool Ionizers Buyer’s Guide
Features to keep in mind while buying the right pool ionizer
What is a Solar Pool Ionizer?
Solar pool ionizers are a cost-effective, safer way to make sure your water is clean and algae-free. By placing the ionizer on top of the pool water, the ionizer will collect sunlight to use a charge. Using this charge, it will travel across the water surface releasing minerals and ions into the pool water. This kills off algae and bacteria without having to add chemicals.
Solar pool ionizers are split into the categories of silver ionizers, and copper ionizers. But what is the difference?
Copper Ionizers work as an algaecide. This means that the copper ions kill off microorganisms, bacteria, fungi, and algae. Using a copper electrode that is submerged into the water, a small electrical charge is transmitted into your swimming pool. This releases copper ions which then go on to kill the microorganisms within the water.
Silver Ionizers work as a bacteriostat. This means the silver ions kill off bacteria. However, this happens at a slower pace, meaning chlorine or bromine is still required to ensure your pool is clean. Nevertheless, silver ionizers still act as a more effective cleaner than the Chlorine used in public swimming pools.
Which is the better option?
Although both silver and copper ionizers still require a small form of sanitation such as chlorine or bromine, for the most part, copper ionizers are the most effective way to clean your pool without harmful chemicals overpowering your water. The copper electrode will effectively work as an algae-killer and ensure your water is clean all year round.
What to look out for
- Copper electrode – although silver ionizers are good for mineralization when combined with chlorine, copper electrodes release the required metal ions into the water whilst using their dc current to kill algae and unwanted microorganisms.
- Warranty- it is entirely your decision whether you want a warranty included in your purchase, however, I would recommend finding an ionizer with a warranty included in case anything happens to your product.
- Minimum amount of extra chlorine required- when looking for a solar ionizer you want to ensure you are not having to buy masses of extra chlorine for your water. I would recommend a chlorine reduction of 80-85%
- Pool size- it is important to ensure the ionizer is able to capacitate to your pool size. Some ionizers can treat 10,000 gallons and others 50,000.
Things to remember
- Your ionizer will not work straight away- it takes around 24-hours for the copper ions to build up concentration in your pool.
- Copper levels- remember to regularly monitor the copper levels in your pool. Most ionizers come with copper measuring strips, however, if yours does not, look into purchasing some from places such as amazon. If your pool’s copper levels surpass 0.5ppm, take your ionizer out until the levels drop.
- Staining- due to the copper ions released, there is a small chance of a copper-colored stain on your pool’s floors and walls.
XtremepowerUS manufactures the most efficient solar pool ionizer by an impressive margin. With the capacity to nurture 32,000 gallons of water, this ionizer can keep your pool pure, mineralized, and algae-free. It has high built-quality therefore, you don’t have to worry about buying a new one anytime soon. It is one of the highest-rated pool ionizers in the market and has a decent treatment capacity. All in one, it is a complete package for your pool purification.
Check out our updated Pinterest board with the best solar pool ionizer:
Using the energy collected from the solar panels, the ionizer floats on the surface of the water, moving around your pool releasing metal ions to kill microorganisms and mineralize your pool.
Yes, your ionizer can stay in your pool 24-hours a day, however, it will be less active at night as it will not be able to collect energy from the sun.
You should regularly check the copper levels in your water using copper level test strips. If the level of copper surpasses 0.5ppm, take your ionizer out of the water until the levels drop.
Yes, most ionizers come with a cleaning kit. However, if yours doesn’t, it is definitely a purchase you need. The cleaning guide will come with instructions on how to keep your ionizer clean and working.
The ideal range of calcium hardness is between 200-400 parts per million for swimming pools.
Sign up now so you can get notified for our latest giveaways, discount promotions and guides