Flexible solar panels have some key benefits in comparison to the traditional solar panels. First, due to their flexibility, they can be mount on any surface. These solar panels are lightweight; hence they are suitable for installation on low-load bearing roofs than the conventional solar panels. These panels save on labor costs during installation, since they do not have additional features such as roof penetrations, ballasts, or racks. The following are some of the most recommendable flexible solar panels.
Comparison Table Of The Best Flexible Solar Panels
Reviews Of The Best Flexible Solar Panels
1. 160 Watt Lightweight 12 Volt Extremely Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel by Renogy
- 【Extremely Flexible】With a flex range of up to 248 degrees, this...
- 【Ultra Lightweight】Thanks to advanced polymer materials, this...
- 【Super Thin Lamination】Discreet and thin, the Renogy 160W...
2. 100 Watt 12V Bendable Monocrystalline Solar Panel Battery Charger by WindyNation
- Semi-Flexible: the panel can be flexed to a maximum of 30 degrees....
- The solar panel and junction box are completely water resistant....
- Extremely light weight and efficient. The solar panel weighs...
Both the solar panel and junction box are water-resistant, making it suitable even during harsh weather conditions. The monocrystalline battery cells have blocking diodes to reduce or eliminate battery discharging during shade conditions, for example, nighttime. The 100-watt solar panel comes with 12-36 inch AWG cables with already set PV connectors, enhancing easy installation. Note that is has a 7pounds shipping weight.
3. 110 Watt High-Efficiency Solar Cells And Flexible Off-Grid Solar Panel by SunPower
- Dimensions: 45.9"(L) x 21.9"(W) x 0.1"(H) (0.8" including J-Box)
- Weight: 4.4lbs - Lightweight, Portable, and Easy to Stow
- Power: Rated Voltage (Vmpp) 18.8V | Rated current (Impp) 5.9A
4. 80 Watt 12 Volt Extremely Flexible ETFE Monocrystalline Solar Panel by Rich Solar
- Lightweight: 4.3 lb / 1.95 kg
- Thickness: 1/8 in / 3 mm
- Flexing up to 30 degrees
5. 150 Watt 12V Bendable Solar Cells Solar Panel by Eco-Worthy
- Perfect for RV using, solar panel size 53.3"x27.2"x0.08" with...
- Flexible Panel contains 32 efficient solar cells. It can be curved to...
- Sealed waterproof junction box within diode, makes charging battery...
6. 136 Watt 24 Volt PowerBond Flexible Solar Panel by Uni-Solar
No products found.Meet the UNI-Solar panel, which has a power capacity of 186 watts, giving out a maximum output of 12V. The panels are 216 by 0.6 by 15.5 inches in size. It is easy to mount or install on even a metal surface, such as RV and boats, since no rackings required. The panel weighs 17 pounds and has a shipping weight of 21 pounds. This lightweight property makes portability and easy installation. The UNI-Solar panel utilizes triple-junction amorphous silicon cells. These triple-junction cells capture the blue, green, and red light rays enhancing performance even under low-light conditions. It also incorporates diodes in the cells, enhancing energy production.
7. 100 Watt Flexible Monocrystalline High-Efficiency Solar Panel by SunPower
- Designed and made by SunPower with Maxeon high efficiency solar cells
- FREE SHIPPING within the U.S.A.
- Robust, Durable & Weather Resistant
8. 200 Watt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel Kit With 20A Charge Controller by Xinpuguang
- ✈[Excellent performance] Using high-quality monocrystalline silicon...
- ✈[Highly durable] The solar modules can withstand high...
- ✈[Flexible] This flexible solar panel is a good choice for curved...
9. 20 Watt Flexible Monocrystalline Photovoltaic Solar Panel with Car Charger by Shierleng
- 【High Efficent】The 20w solar panel is made of monocrystalline...
- 【Portable】 Thin and lightweight, easy for carrying. Suitable for...
- 【Safefy】Battery reverse discharge protection and polarity...
10. 50 Watt Off-Grid Solar Panel Bendable Thin Film Monocrystalline with Controller by Dokio
- Semi-flexible: the panel can be flexed to a maximum of 30, ultra-thin:...
- Extremely light weight, the solar panel weighs approximately...
- Highly efficient monocrystalline solar cells .
11. 100 Watt High-Efficiency Bifacial Flexible Solar Panel by Winnewsun
- Bifacial Solar Panel: both sides of the bifacial solar module can...
- Lightweight and Portable: The total weight for this bifacial flexible...
- High Efficient: This kind of new solar panel uses the cells with...
12. 120 Watt Flexible Solar Panel Solar With Solar Charger Controller
- 【SEMI-FLEXIBLE】The panel can be bendable flexible flexed to a...
- 【WATER RESISTANT】The solar panel and junction box are completely...
- 【POWERFUL and LIGHTWEIGHT】 This solar panel packs 120W of power,...
The solar cells of this panel are highly sensitive to light and internal diodes, which block current reversal at night. These features enhance the durability of this solar panel. The Sunpower monocrystalline cells have an efficiency of up to 23.5%. It has a panel size of 46 by 21 by 0.8 inches. The solar panel weighs 8.3 pounds. It has a power backup kit and a two-year product warranty.
Flexible Panels Applications
Flexible solar panels are widely applicable in various areas. They have a flex range hence easily mounted on curved or irregular surfaces. You can install these panels in your car, tent, during camping, RVs, sailboats, and trucks. These panels can sustain voltage enough to power most electronic devices in your home. Other areas that benefit from these off-grid flexible solar panels include powering GPS systems, camping, or other communication equipment.
Installation of Flexible Solar Panels
Installation of flexible solar panels is easy but still requires one to have the necessary skills in installation. Note that the product manufacturer is not liable to any risks that occur during installation. Ensure that the mounting of your panel allows air to circulate on at least one side to enhance its performance freely. You should not bend the solar panel 25% beyond its length or width size. During installation, avoid electrical risks such as touching the active terminals. Avoid installing the solar panel near gas appliances due to sparks which might result during the process of connecting.
On the junction box, for instance, on an RV, there are two connectors, the positive and negative terminals. You need to identify the terminals and properly link them. The panel continuously produces light hence advisable to cover it during the installation process. When installing, use insulated gloves and the recommended isolated tools to avoid touching the terminals directly.
Additional devices such as groundings, diodes, and fuses are essential during connection. When installing several panels, do not use different types since different panels give different voltages. Also, ensure that the surface your mount your panel on is structurally strong and stable to avoid excessive bending during adverse weather conditions, such as snow loading.
Advantages of Flexible Panels in Comparison to Conventional Solar Panels
Flexible solar panels are lighter than conventional panels. This lightweight feature enhances portability and ease of installation. Unlike traditional solar panels, flexible solar panels enhance portability. These solar panels are also easily mounted on curved or irregular surfaces, such as boats, tents, campers, RVs, etc., whereas conventional solar panels only suit regular surfaces.
Flexible solar panels are easily glued to the surfaces, enhancing installation, unlike traditional solar panels, which require mounting racks for installation. This ease in installation makes flexible solar panels cost-effective.
In conclusion, flexible solar panels have a wide range of advantages ranging from portability, cost-effective, and ease of installation. Nonetheless, the primary benefit of these panels lies in its bendability, hence easy mounting on irregular surfaces. The brand products discussed above are some of the best in the market. When selecting the best flexible solar panel, check on the product’s features such as size, power output, battery efficiency, weight, and flex range. After purchasing a solar panel, read the manufacturer’s instructions before installation.
- Flexible Solar Panels Buyers Guide and Reviews - March 31, 2020
- The Best Outdoor Solar Light to Decorate Your Property - March 23, 2020
- A Comprehensive Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Review - October 28, 2019
Last update on 2020-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API