Wind energy is one of the few forms of viable clean energy that homeowners have access to nowadays. Not only are wind turbines for homes efficient and powerful but they can last for decades.
We’re going to have a look at the best home wind turbines on the market, including various options that start from 300 watts to 2000 watts.
Best Home Wind Turbines of 2020
This article will even prove to be a useful resource for those who aren’t familiar with wind turbines, as we’re going to discuss how these fine energy-producing machines work and how wind generators can benefit you.
Top 10 Home Wind Turbines
This cutting-edge wind turbine from Windmax is a well-built model that offers superior performance. It’s small in size but big on results and it comes at an unbeatable price.
According to the manufacturer, this residential wind generator kit doesn’t need high-speed winds in order to work which means it can operate on any type of location.
It comes fully equipped with all the components you’ll need, including a generator, a controller and bolts. It also comes with integrated aerodynamic brakes to help regulate the speed at which the generator travels during high wind conditions.
Also, you have to hire a professional engineer to set this up for you, because it’s not DIY friendly, the manual is incomplete and there’s no real installation kit. Not only that, but there’s no warranty on this either.
- It has the ability to operate in low wind conditions
- Requires virtually no maintenance
- Very durable
- Features aerodynamic blade speed control
- The product has good output
- It’s not backed by warranty
- Difficult to install
This wind generator kit consists of an efficient wind turbine with three fiberglass blades and a 4.3 ft diameter rotor. Together, these components can generate up to 600W worth of power, and this kit can be used alongside your solar panel for a real value-added power system for your off-grid home.
The wind turbine can generate up to 100A worth of energy for your batteries and it only requires wind speeds of 6.7mph in order to work at full capacity.
The best part is that you can install this on your own thanks to the DIY installation kit.
It also comes with an automatic breaking system built into the system to prevent damage that may be caused by exposure to high winds and it also eliminates any chances of overcharging.
- Can be used in conjunction with your solar energy system
- Well-made and long-lasting
- Comes with an MPPT charge controller integration
- Offers regulated rotation on the blades
- Weather resistant
- Easy to install
- Includes 1 Year manufactures warranty
- It doesn’t work for large households
This versatile wind turbine generator from Happybuy offers great value for money.
It’s a very cost-effective unit that comes with all the features you’d expect from a high-quality model. First of all, it’s compact and easy to install, and thanks to its ingenious design you can place it pretty much anywhere.
It’s suitable for residential, office and factory applications.
It’s very low-maintenance and the charge controller helps to guarantee maximum power production and protection against overcharging. To ensure that you get the most bang for your buck, this unit has been engineered to operate at a start-up wind speed of 2.5 m/s.
Its superior design provides effective regulation of current and voltage through the maximum power tracking intelligent microprocessor control.
- Super easy to install
- You can combine it with your solar panels for complete off-grid power functionality
- It will significantly lower your power bill
- Very well-made and durable
- Great value for money
- The charge controller does not have a dump load option
This wind turbine generator features three aerodynamically tapered blades that help generate up to 400 watts of power. Also included in the package is a tail to make sure that the turbines go in the right direction.
The body of the turbine is made from rust-resistant and weather-proof galvanized steel.
Its blades are made of nylon fibre and designed for both land and marine environment. It can efficiently utilize high wind energy while producing low vibration when in the operation.
The rotor diameter is about 140cm, the length of the blade is 65cm. It has a 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous generator.
The unit also features a fully integrated regulator that automatically shuts down when the batteries are completely charged, enhancing the safety of the product.
The installation package comes with stainless steel nuts and bolts as well as a durable hub stabilizer.
- Works well in low wind conditions
- Made from sturdy materials
- Very efficient
- Long lasting
- Features aerodynamically tapered blades
- Low noise operation
- Great value for money
- It’s a bit difficult to assemble and install
This is a powerhouse of a wind turbine generator as it features 5 powerful blades and it’s made with glass fiber and thermoplastic for long-lasting durability. It’s also coated with UV protection so you can rest assured that it won’t get damaged by extreme weather conditions.
The fan operating temperature is 30 degrees to 60 degrees, so it applies to most parts of the world.
The motor of this wind turbine uses a unique magnetic circuit design, which reduced its starting torque, and it can effectively guarantee the unit’s breeze start capability.
- Super durable and well-made
- Easy to install
- UV protected
- Made from high-quality materials
- Works in low wind conditions
- Works in conjunction with solar energy systems
- Smooth start of capability
- It’s really big when compared to other models out there
- It’s fairly noisy when the wind is over about 10 MPH
Best Wind Power Generator 2000 Watt
If you’re looking for a complete wind energy solution that will take care of your home’s energy needs, look no further than this 2000 watt and 11-blade wind turbine generator from Missouri General Freedom.
It has a maximum speed of 125 mph which is complemented by a cut-in speed of 6mph. It’s probably the most efficient model on the market as it generates an impressive amount of power.
The permanent magnet generator of Freedom II Wind Turbine has more copper, which means more power. It is designed in a way that allows it to be used with vertical axis wind turbines.
The design of Freedom I and Freedom II PMGs was updated in n June 2019 and now it contains a keyed shaft and hub stabilizer as well as a self-tightening cam-lock washer to prevent the blade set from ever spinning on the shaft.
Stainless steel rotor shaft makes the unit very dependable.
- Durable and very long lasting
- NO COGGING – Cut in wind speed of 6 MPH
- Features 11 aerodynamically tapered blades
- Has 2000 watt energy generating capacity
- Very efficient
- Made from ultra-durable materials
- The bearings are not as long lasting as the other components of this model
- It doesn’t always generate a lot of energy during high winds
The Aleko brand is very famous for manufacturing the best residential wind turbines on the market. They’ve been around for a very long time and operate internationally.
They certainly didn’t disappoint with the WG3KW resident wind turbine which is a top-class model with 3 fiberglass blades that can produce up to 3000 watts of power.
This 48-volt turbine has a start-up wind speed of 3 m/s and works well at wind speeds of 3.5 to 25m/s.
It also features an electromagnetic brake that regulates the speed through a method known as mechanical yawing and it’s rated 450 r/m.
The great thing about this wind turbine generator is that it automatically converts the DC energy it gets from the wind into AC energy thanks its multi-voltage power system.
This means that you can store the DC electricity for later use, or use the AC energy immediately to keep the lights on and power all your appliances such as the kettle, refrigerator, TV, laptops, stove etc.
- Features three high-quality fiberglass blades
- Has a multi-voltage power supply system
- It has the capacity to produce up to 3000 watts of power
- Operates at 3.5 to 25 m/s wind speed
- It’s a 450 r/m rated wind turbine
- Smooth and quiet operation
- Controller, Dump Load and Inverter are included
- We couldn’t find any fault with this wind turbine generator
Best Wind Power Generator 1500 Watt
The Windmill 1500W Wind Turbine Generator Kit is a marvel of a creation with innovative features that will completely eliminate the need for other energy sources.
Weighing in at 33 pounds, this is one of the most durable and powerful wind turbine generators on the market. Even an average homeowner with an untrained eye can see that this is a very well-designed unit.
It features an automated braking system that helps maintain the integrity and performance of the system while keeping it protected against damage during turbulent wind conditions.
The protecting cover of the turbine helps prevent the harmful effects of UV rays u0026amp; other weather conditions.
With this unit, you can power your entire home and keep your dishwasher, washing machine and other appliances running with no problem. It will keep the batteries fully charged and it’s perfect for off-grid life in the outback.
The turbine begins to supply power in wind speeds as low as 2.5m/s, creating more Ampere hours of power per day especially in low to average wind speeds.
This wind turbine features MPPT charge controler, which is one of the most efficient types available. This will ensures that the system runs optimally and that the batteries are charged properly.
You can install this by yourself with the included DIY kit which also comes with easy to understand installation instructions. As any homeowner who’s ever bought a wind turbine will tell you, the ability to install your own wind turbine can save you a lot of money.
You’ll save even more money when you use this in conjunction with your solar energy system.
The braking system features both manual and automatic options to make sure that the system doesn’t overheat.
If you wish, you can always switch this system off when there are gale force winds to preserve the materials and extend its lifespan. All the components you need to install and operate this model are included in the package and the product is backed by a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty to cover factory faults.
However, this manufacturer really stands out with its amazing customer service. They’re quick to respond to queries and are willing to replace defective units at no extra charge to you.
So if you’re looking to purchase a wind turbine from a reliable company that you can trust, then this unit is the one for you.
- Rated power: 1500W
- Rated speed: 46 ft/s
- Voltage system: 24V
- Cut-in wind speed: 5.6 mph
- Suggested battery capacity: 200A or larger
- Number of blades: 3
- Rotor diameter: 5.6 ft
- Light weight: 33 lbs
- Produces enough wind power to supply energy for your entire home
- The manufacturer really stands behind its product with excellent customer service and 1 year manufactures warranty
- The unit requires low maintenance
- Easy DIY installation
- Powerful but lightweight (only 33 lbs.)
- The turbine runs quietly
- It has the capacity to take care of your entire home’s energy needs
- It’s not the most durable model on the market
Constructed from lightweight, waterproof cast aluminum, this home wind turbine kit is perfect for households that are out in the country and in areas with regular heavy winds.
This model will start picking up at wind speeds of just 5 mph and it has a power output capacity of 1500 watts.
You can store all the excess power that it produces on the batteries through a charge controller or inverter. The rest of the generated energy can be used to power your lighting, washing machines, computers and more.
The best part about this Aleko wind turbine generator is that it runs quietly even though it features five powerful blades. You’ll also be glad to know that it operates at a current of 48 volts.
Aleko offers a diverse range of wind turbines, starting from entry level horizontal and vertical turbines all the way up to huge 1,000 watts+ models. If you have a strong headwind, you can expect to enjoy these levels of power.
For those who live in areas where winds are varying or inconsistent, finding something more sensitive but also weaker would be a better choice. Build quality and user-friendliness and also more than acceptable.
Aleko wind turbines are a solid and proven choice.
- Rated power: 1000 W;
- Maximum power: 1500 W;
- Rated wind speed: 22.4 miles/hour (10 m/s);
- Start-up wind speed: 5.6 miles/hour (2.5 meters/sec);
- Rated wind speed: 22 miles/hour (10 meters/sec);
- Security wind speed: 90 miles/hour (40 meters);
- Working wind speed: 6.7~56 miles/hour (3~25 meters/sec);
- Working voltage for load(via controller): 48V DC;
- Rotor Diameter: 8.2 Ft. ( 2.5 meters);
- Mount (flange) tube diameter: 2 inches (49 mm);
- Warranty: 2 Years.
- This versatile unit can be used to store power in a charge controller, an inverter or your batteries
- It has a power output capacity of up to 1500 watts
- Starts working at 5 mph wind speeds
- It runs quietly
- Strong built
- Good value for money
- For areas with weak and inconsistent winds, a more sensitive model may be more suitable
Best Wind Power Generator 400 Watt
With a rated power output capacity of 400 watts, this amazing windmill can operate at wind speeds of up to 28mph. It comes with all the tools you’ll need for a simple DIY installation which means you won’t have to fork out extra cash for a professional technician.
It also features a built-in MPPT which enables it to convert DC energy into usable AC while the automatic braking system protects it from high wind damage and overcharging.
It’s important to note though that this unit requires wind speed of 6.7 mph in order to start operating and it’s made from strong and weather-resistant materials.
Part of what makes this model popular is the fact that it’s very cost-effective and it works great when it comes to powering small homes and other non-demanding applications.
- Super easy to install thanks to the DIY kit
- Comes with a built-in automatic braking system
- Perfect for powering small homes
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Nice and compact
- It’s quite affordable
- It doesn’t have a manual braking system
- Offers low wattage
- It only starts charging the batteries at wind speeds of 15 to 20 mph
This VEVOR wind turbine generator is tiny but very effective at generating power. It has an output capacity of 400 watts and works well with 12-volt batteries.
It’s often recommended for entry-level customers due to its ease of use and installation. Many use it to go completely off-grid, especially tiny house owners.
It’s available in different variations that go up to 1500 watts, so you can level up as you go along. It’s also very affordable, which is great.
This unit comes with a hybrid controller, aluminum alloy blades that are lightweight but strong, and stainless steel fittings that are weather-resistant and long lasting.
It’s versatile enough for use in residential applications as well as in marine conditions. The turbine blades start turning at wind speeds of 5.5 mph and the generator works virtually noiselessly.
There’s also a 20A hybrid charge controller involved which is unfortunately not as efficient in its performance as the turbine itself. That’s to say, it doesn’t work well in low wind conditions and it’s suited for locations that have moderate to strong winds.
- Rated Power:400W
- Rated Voltage :DC27-54V
- Battery Voltage: DC12/24V
- Start-up Wind Speed ;2.5m/s(8’/s)
- Rated Wind Speed :10.5m/S(35’/s)
- Number of Blades :3
- Material of Wind Leaf :Carbon Fiber Composite
- Rotor Diameter :1.2m(4′)
- Rated Speed:800r/min[RPM]
- Tower Diameter >80 mm(3.2″)
- Tower Height :4.5m-10m(15-33′)
- Battery Capacity :200AH-400AH
- Made for both land and marine
- Perfect for small home applications
- Good quality build and solid components
- Very affordable
- Works with 12-volt batteries
- The installation instructions could be clearer
- Tail piece is a bit small
The Popsport Wind Generator 400W is the perfect addition to any off-grid power system. It runs quietly thanks to the fact that it produces less vibration than your average wind turbine, and yet its batteries and blades start working at 2.5m per second wind speeds which is very impressive.
It features patented permanent magnet generator and special stator which effectively reduces torque resistance and guarantees the stability.
Of course, this is good news for anyone that lives in areas with only moderate wind to offer and its discreet and sleek design ensures that it won’t look like an eyesore in your yard.
As a result, this model has been used in both urban and rural locations with equal ease. You can even use this generator to charge the batteries on your boat, your RV or cabin. It’s a truly versatile wind generator that offers great value for your money.
Believe it or not, this unit weighs only 17.3 pounds, making it one of the most lightweight and efficient models in its category.
It is small enough that you can put it in a variety of spots on your property. For those that just want a basic small turbine this is one to consider.
With a 400 watt output and max daily output of 1.4KW, this turbine will do a good job of supplying supplemental power.
- Wind generator rated power: 400W;
- Rated Voltage: DC27-54V;
- Battery Voltage:DC12V;
- Number of Blades: 3
- Material of Wind Leaf: PBT;
- Start-up Wind Speed: 2.5m/s(8’/s);
- Rated Wind Speed: 12m/S(35’/s);
- Rated Speed: 800r/min[RPM]
- Very well-built
- Starts operating at 15mph wind speeds
- Beautifully designed
- CE Certification, RoHS Certification and ISO9001 Certification
- Low start-up speed
- Low vibration
- Easy maintenance
- Very affordable
- Customer service could use some improvement
- It’s too lightweight for areas with strong winds
- There’s no instructions manual
Best Vertical Home Wind Turbine
This vibrantly colored wind turbine generator from Happybuy is more than just its good looks. It’s made from high-quality aluminum alloy and nylon fiber blades that are weather-resistant and powerful enough to withstand heavy gale force winds.
In addition, it is corrosion-protected, as well as water and sand resistant. It is ideally suited for the leisure sector and is known for charging batteries for boats, mobile homes or cabins, as well as for green windmills, home, corporate and industrial energy supplements.
Wind turbines with vertical-axis are better able to harvest turbulent air flow around buildings and other structures, which makes this wind turbine suitable for many different environments.
This one has a 400Watt power capacity although you also have the option of purchasing the 600-watt model if you like. It has a built-in electromagnetic braking system to protect the integrity of the wind turbines and prevent overheating, while also regulating the current and voltage.
It uses a permanent magnetic generator to keep the aerodynamic lantern shaped blades running, and it has a low starting speed of just 1.5 m/s.
- Rated wattage: 400 W
- Max wattage: 410 W
- Rated Voltage: 12 V
- Start wind speed: 6.6 ft/s
- Rated wind speed: 39.4 ft/s
- Safe wind speed: 147.6 ft/s
- Main engine net weight: 28.2 lbs
- Wind wheel diameter: 2.95 ft
- Blade number: 5
- Easy to set up and install
- It’s a great addition to a solar energy system
- Nice design
- Comes with a built-in electromagnetic braking system
- Low startup wind speed
- Wide application
- Very durable in harsh conditions
- The blades are rather small and don’t really generate that much power
MAKEMU Energy has created a very basic but efficient wind generating kit with this power generator. When installing it, you don’t need to worry about the installation because it has the ability to pick up wind from any direction and it has a power output of up to 200 watts.
Needless to say, this wind turbine generator is suitable for small-scale operations like keeping an outdoor fountain going, powering a tiny home or even a small boat. The good news is that it can survive through high wind speeds of up to 200 km/h.
For home use, nothing is more appropriate than vertical axis wind turbines: because they capture the wind from all directions they do not need orientatio.
- Highly efficient
- Can provide up to 200 watts of energy
- Perfect for small-scale applications
- Easy to install
- Runs quietly
- 2 Years Warrenty
- Too small to power a home on its own
While you wouldn’t be able to tell from its pretty looks, this wind turbine generator from VEVOR is a powerful piece of energy-generating machinery. It has a power output capacity of up to 3000 watts and it works well with 12V batteries.
The 1.77ft blades are made from strong aluminum alloy and they have an aerodynamic shape which allows them to generate loads of electric energy while minimizing power loss.
The ergonomic flange design makes this very easy to install, while the generator uses an innovative three-phase permanent magnet AC. It’s perfect for powering a small home, boat or even your flagpole light.
- Well-built with good quality parts
- Delivers expected power output
- Beautifully designed
- Works well with 12V batteries
- Features aerodynamically shaped blades
- Very sturdy and heavily made but easy to assemble
- It doesn’t come with an installation kit
A wind turbine is a fantastic investment in this day and age, especially if you live in a windy area. The savings you’ll see from installing a wind turbine start from the electric bill you won’t be paying anymore and since most models require little to no maintenance, you don’t have to worry about maintenance costs either.
Worried that you won’t find a model that suits your needs? Not to worry, as the wind turbine manufacturers have made wind generators to suit all budgets and home sizes.
For small-scale applications, we recommend the highly efficient and beautifully designed No products found.. What we like about this model, in particular, is the fact that it has a low start-up wind speed of 2.5 m/s and it actually works as advertised.
This is a very durable unit that’s low maintenance and easy to install. Plus you can use it alongside your solar energy system in order to go completely off-grid. Ideal for tiny homes, RVs, boats etc.
If you’re looking for something a little bigger that will be able to handle the energy demands of a large home, look no further than the ALEKO WG3KW Wind Turbine, with its fiberglass blades that can produce up to 3000 watts of power.
This model will start to work at 3.5 m/s and it’s 450 r/m rated. The best part is that it has a multi-voltage power supply system and will keep your batteries protected from damage or overcharging.
How Do Home Wind Turbines Work?
Before you go ahead and purchase your first residential wind turbine, it’s important that you have a general understanding of how it works to generate energy. First of all, wind power systems are typically made of a wind tower and a wind turbine with rotating blades. The blades spin around every time there’s wind thus generating enough electrical energy to power your home.
The turbine blades accumulate wind energy and the system converts this energy into an electric current that’s well-suited to your home. Wind towers come in different heights and the one you choose to install will depend on your home’s location.
In most cases, wind power has to be supplemented by a local utility, so you end up using a combination of free wind energy and utility power.
What Do Home Wind Turbine Kits Have Inside?
Like most pieces of machinery, a wind turbine is made of several different components. Knowing the terms and functions of these components will help you choose the best wind turbine for your unique needs and location.
- Generator – The generator is what actually enables the system to generate electricity. As the rotors spin around, they create a motion that converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy. The generator is linked to the core which connects the blades, and it sits just behind the blades.
- Brakes – Most wind turbine systems come with both automatic and manual brakes. The automatic brakes are in use most of the time and will come on as soon as the batteries are fully charged. On the other hand, the manual brakes are used in emergency situations or for maintenance purposes.
- Batteries – Batteries are needed in order to store the electric energy that’s generated by the spinning turbine blades. The energy is stored in the batteries for use when needed. The best wind turbine systems typically feature lead-acid batteries also known as deep cycle because you can wire them together and create a battery bank.
- Controller – This particular component is responsible for keeping the battery bank in good working condition. It does this by making sure that there isn’t too much energy in the batteries, thus preventing them from overheating. The charge controller diverts any excess energy that’s produced to another component known as the “dump”, so that the fully charged batteries aren’t overwhelmed with energy. For the best results, go for an MPPT charge controller instead of a PWM controller, as the former is more efficient than the latter, even though a bit more expensive.
- Dump – The dump is responsible for protecting the wind energy system from overwhelming by maintaining enough circuit resistance at all times. The turbine blades may continue to run even when the batteries are fully charged, and the dump is needed to regulate the excess energy and prevent the system from running too fast.
- Inverter – The inverter helps convert the energy generated by the turbine from DC energy to usable AC energy.
Wind Power System Advantages and Disadvantages
The following are the key takeaways from the information we’ve provided on wind power systems thus far. We’ll also provide you with the advantages and disadvantages of installing a wind power system so that you may be able to make an informed decision when purchasing the best wind generator for your needs.
- It’s clean and renewable energy
- Allows you to save money when extending utility power lines
- It’s a great source of alternative energy for when there’s a power outage
- It will save you tons of money in the long run
- Enables you access to tax incentives from the state
- The upfront costs are expensive
- It doesn’t work well when there’s no wind
- It’s only suitable for locations that have good wind
Modern-day wind turbines are made from durable composite materials that are resistant to rust and corrosion. This means that they can handle even the most extreme weather conditions without falling apart on you.
Also, they don’t require a lot of maintenance, especially in the beginning. The units are often powder coated and tightly sealed to make sure that no damage comes to the inner components.
Inside the nacelle, there are no user-serviceable parts which means that you’ll have to consult with a professional technician to service the unit if anything happens to disrupt its function.
While most wind turbines are fitted with durable features and materials which enable them to run smoothly, they still require a bit of routine maintenance in order to continue working flawlessly.
Best Wind Turbines – Buyer’s Guide
- Automatic Braking System – Will the residential wind turbine come with an automatic braking system built into the wind generator kit? This will help you protect the turbine in sudden high wind conditions. The turbine should also have manual brakes to protect the batteries from overcharging and overheating the system.
- Cut-In Wind Speed – Ideally, your wind turbine should have low cut-in speed as that will enable it to generate power at just the right speeds. For the best results, look for a system with a cut-in wind speed of 6 mph or below.
- Installation – Make sure that the kit you purchase comes with DIY equipment for easy installation. The instructions on the kit should be simple and easy to understand.
- Maximizing Power Output – It’s always recommended to opt for a wind generator that has built-in MPPT power tracking. This is a sign that the wind turbine system is highly efficient.
- Quality Build – The best wind turbines are typically constructed from high-quality, durable materials like Glass Fiber and Polypropylene. Both of these materials are preferred for their weather-resistant qualities. It would also be awesome if your residential wind turbine has a layer of UV protection coating.
- Solar Integration – Some wind turbines are compatible with solar panels as well, which makes for easy integration of your alternative energy systems.
- Tower Height – It’s best to get a tall tower so that you can take advantage of the high average wind speeds that are possible at these heights. In fact, research shows that there’s 25% more wind availability at 100 feet when compared to 30 feet, and this can increase to 43% more at 200 feet. It’s also important to ensure that there are no obstructing structures like trees or buildings surrounding your turbine.
- Wind Speed – The amount of electricity that’s produced by the wind generator is in direct proportion to the wind speed. For example, a wind generator kit that’s running at wind speeds of 15 mph can generate 3.4 times more power than it would when running at a speed of 10 mph.
- Roof Mounting – Whatever you do, never install your wind turbine on the roof. Not only is it completely uneconomical, but it will definitely jeopardize the roof’s structural integrity and cause a safety hazard.
- Pedigree – While you might be tempted to purchase one of the latest wind turbine kits available on the market, it’s best to stick to the tried and tested models. That’s because they most likely have a proven track record. Make sure to check the warranty period of the wind turbine as well before you purchase it just to be on the safe side.
- Safety – Tilt-down tower wind turbines are easy and much safer to maintain than taller models that are 100 feet high.
Last but not least, make sure you add your residential wind turbine system to your insurance policy. This will help cover blade damage that occurs as a result of severe storms or other extreme weather conditions.
Latest posts by Robert (see all)
- A Comprehensive Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Review - October 28, 2019
- Goal Zero Torch 250 Review: Is It Worth the Money? - October 22, 2019
- How to Clean Solar Panels - October 12, 2019
Last update on 2020-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API